THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 21, 2009

Modern Realism

One of my first thoughts of modern realism was a very dark movie and novel by the name of Angela's Ashes, This is an amazing story of a poor boy in Ireland. This is not a fictional novel, so the realism is adament.
When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I survived at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood.. . . nothing can compare with the Irish version: the poverty; the shiftless loquacious alcoholic father; the pious defeated mother moaning by the fire; pompous priests; bullying schoolmasters; the English and the terrible things they did to us for eight hundred long years.

I have not read the novel, but I love the movie. It is so harsh yet, so real. The movie is constantly showing the nastiness of the time period. Scenes showing people throwing poop out of their window, and the young boy, Frank McCourt, dodging the turds. Scenes like these really depict the sorrows of a poor catholic Irish boy.

I’m on deck the dawn we sail into New York. I’m sure I’m in a film, that it will end and lights will come up in the Lyric Cinema. . . . Rich Americans in top hats white ties and tails must be going home to bed with the gorgeous women with white teeth. The rest are going to work in warm comfortable offices and no one has a care in the world.

In the end, Frank manages to save up money to move to America. He leaves his family behind. A happy ending to a forlorn story. Everyone loves that.

1 comments:

D a n a said...

You have done well on this so far. You only need to work on the last one. It should be easy for you -- talk to me, and I'll tell you what's up with it.

d